A powerful deck that has been performing well at high ranks for me (59.2% win-rate).
The gameplan is to disrupt our opponent's hand (with cards like Iceman, Master Mold, and Baron Mordo), lock an opponent out of a location (with cards like Juggernaut and Professor X), and win another location with our big threats (Ronan, Magneto).
The general play pattern looks something like this (in order of priority):
- Iceman or pass
- play a 2 - Master Mold > Baron Mordo > Lizard > Daredevil
- Maximus > Iceman + 2-cost
- Flexible (play out 2 more 2-costs, Shang Chi an early threat like Zabu into Darkhawk or Monster Island, etc - this is the ideal turn to play Daredevil, if you haven't already)
- Secure a lane with Professor X > play Ronana
- Ronan to win a lane, Magneto to pick apart their board, two 3-costs (Maximus + Other), Shang Chi + a 2-cost, etc.
This deck struggles vs. Discard and decks like Sera/Bounce that want to either throw away or barf out their entire hand, because that makes Ronan a wimpy boy by the end of the game.
Against Devil Dino, Ronan and Dino will go even in power. Would sure be a shame if someone... Shang-Chi'd that Dino back into extinction...
If you're facing Galactus (watch for the normal signs - early Yondu -> Wolverine -> Electro, Doc Ock, etc), your best tools against that are:
- Juggernaut (bounces Galactus into another lane, potentially cancelling his effect)
- Professor X (beats Galactus' power and prevents your opponent from adding any more - including Wolverine)
- Magneto (can pull your opponent's Electro/Wave into the Galactus lane, preventing his On-Reveal)
Note: Juggernaut and Magneto require you to have priority beforehand (which this deck can usually manage easily vs. Galactus); Professor X does not, but if your opponent has Wolverine or Nimrod on the board, they will end up in the Galactus location before Prof X locks it down.