Hello Fellow Snappers!
My name is Drewberry and today we're deep diving into Marvel Snap's upcoming card release: MOBIUS M. MOBIUS
Could this well-dressed agent of time CHANGE the Marvel Snap meta forever?! Short answer: Yes. Will he be nerfed eventually? Unlikely.
Simply put, Mobius will be a Game-WINNER in certain matchups, but in others he will be a 2/3 which might help with a few locations (list below). Long-term, he'll likely sustain a balanced winrate because he will overperform when the meta is attuned to energy cheating and underperform when the meta is focused on other strategies. Fortunately for Mobius, there are a lot of energy-cheating decks that have been meta-relevant for quite some time.
Mobius does carry some downsides. For instance, if your opponent isn't running any energy cheats, his effect won't have a major impact on the game. He is also a poor turn 6 draw since we wouldn't be able to take advantage of his ability. This is where pairing him with Chavez is a great combo, guaranteeing we don't draw him on the final turn.
Generally, I think some folks have been blinded by his dream scenarios but haven't accounted for the shift in the meta that will likely occur with his release. There are still plenty of decks that perform well in the current meta that don’t use energy-cheat mechanics. But all it takes is denying one of these interactions to greatly swing a match. Not to mention the common rarity locations that Mobius will dominate! Check out the graphic below for every card and location affected by Mobius.
Is Mobius M. Mobius a SNAP or PASS?!
Spotlight Cache Rewards this Week!
Below is a full list of locations and cards that are affected by Mobius
Mobius M. Mobius Tips & Mechanics
- Mobius vs. Mobius: All cards will remain at base cost.
- Does not remove the abilities from energy-cheating cards. This is important because Mobius can be countered by Ongoing Removal Tech or destroyed by Lady Deathstrike or Alioth.
- If you have Mobius on the board and play Wave, cards that cost 4 or more will be reduced to 4, and cards that cost less than 4 will not be increased to 4. The inverse is true for your opponent.
- If your opponent has Mobius on the board and you use Mr. Negative on your deck, the negatized cards will retain their base cost. Example: Iron Man will be a 5/5.
- If a card in your hand has been turned into a pig by Spider-Ham and you have Mobius on the board, the Pig will return to its base cost of 4.
- If your opponent has Mobius on the board and you play Loki, the replaced cards will not be discounted, but if you silence or destroy Mobius, the replaced cards will regain their discount. (The discount is always present but Mobius is blocking it.) This also applies to other On Reveal, 1-time discounts such as Beast.
Mobius Theorycrafted Decklists!
Deathwave has returned. After the interaction between Wave and Death was nerfed, Mobius has resurrected its potential. Mobius nullifies the wave ability if Death costs less than 4. Meaning on turn 5, we can Wave and if 8 cards have been destroyed, Death will cost 0 on turn 6. This will lead to a lot of checkmate scenarios by pairing Death + Leader or Death + Alioth. Destroying 8 cards is not the easiest task, but with Squirrel Girl and Killmonger plus a few more destroy staples, we should be just fine.
This is how I anticipate Mobius working in 90% of deckbuilding:
Step 1: Create a strong, standalone deck or netdeck for a top performer.
Step 2: Remove the weakest piece and replace it with Mobius.
Essentially, he fills in as the tech role in a deck.This featured deck is currently a Tier 1 deck, but we've opted to remove Cosmo for Mobius and Tech for Tech. In certain matchups, we've undoubtedly strengthened our odds of winning; however, I fear Mobius could hinder this deck's consistency if we don't match up against energy-cheat-focused decks. Depending on the meta, we could’ve swapped Armor or Jeff.
Sometimes the best offense is a good defense. Too many counters in a deck likely makes for a poor build, but it also seems really fun to have a Swiss army knife of options when tackling ladder. Sera on 5 opens up the opportunity to use killmonger/rogue + shang-chi + shadow king. There is lots of potential to swing the game late.
Lastly, I wanted to build a deck that made use of Mobius and his ongoing tag. Spectrum + Wong has been a long-time combo that provides a lot of burst power on the board, but it is vulnerable to many counters. Fortunately, we don’t need Mobius to provide any defensive utility as we aren’t running any energy cheat cards. This is a bonus because Mobius will be everywhere when he’s released! Instead, we can neutralize the board with our Mobius if our opponent is planning on doing some energy-cheating shenanigans.
Truthfully, if Mobius cost 6,000 tokens, I would be hesitant to suggest picking up such an expensive tech card; however, as a Series 4 card costing 3000 tokens, I really like the return value here. While I do believe he's being slightly overhyped, I see Mobius becoming a Conquest-King tech option and a game winner in certain matchups on ladder. Mobius has the makings of becoming a revolutionary card in the Marvel Snap meta! This handsome devil is an easy... SNAP!